The Professional School
The Early Childcare Assistant Diploma Program was developed to equip childcare workers with valuable knowledge, skills and experience for employment as Assistants in day care or learning centre. It was designed to give students an overview of the responsibilities of an early childcare assistant (ECA) and opportunities to perform those responsibilities. In addition to covering early childhood development, curriculum planning, communication and other vital topics in childcare, the program also includes the role of technology in a childcare setting and how to use it to enhance the development in children.
Graduates of this diploma course will be prepared to work in such places as daycare centre’s, nurseries and early learning centres. It is important for those involved in this field to be able to apply their high level of care and concern for children, patience and communication skills.
As a student in an applied professional program, you will be required to link your theoretical courses with experiential learning in a practical setting. Clinical placement will enable you to explore the new working environment and develop confidence, while practicing teaching and leadership skills.
Clinical placement present students with an opportunity to:
• understand how communities and governments create services to meet the child care and education needs of children and families;
• develop skills in working with parents, a broad range of professionals, and other adults in the community;
• demonstrate sensitivity to, and skills in working with a variety of cultural and ethnic groups;
• exercise initiative in identifying needs and the ability to work with others to create services to meet those needs, and display awareness of community resources and how to access them with families.
Acceptance to the program is contingent upon a satisfactory police check, up to date immunization status and successful entrance testing.
Graduates are required to pass the final comprehensive theory examination administered by NACC in order to qualify for the ECA Diploma.
• NACC Exam (ECA)Labour market information from The Working in Canada.
• Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent
• Mature student status with Aptitude Test (18 years of age or older)
Stream 1 or 2
• Entrance Aptitude Test
• Fitness to complete practical's (a Medical certificate is required)
• Two reference letters
• A Police check of criminal record for Vulnerable People